Today was my birthday.
One week ago today, I got the best gift anyone could ever get. My onco gave me the "all clear."
At that time, I thought I'd want to really live it up today.
However, it just seemed more appropriate to focus on the good things in life, to look around and foster an attitude of gratitude. Everyday should be celebrated like a birthday. More of the mundane needs to be looked at like gifts.
So, for those of you not following along on facebook, here's a re-cap of some of the Great Birthday Gifts of the last 24 hours:
1) A wonderful experience with the local high school principal and assistant superintendent of curriculum regarding Aidan's plan to Credit Flex Geometry next year and credit for Algebra I, taken outside of school and without school supervision, this year.
2) A break through on the Couch to 5 K running program....after being stuck on week 7 for an eternity (OK, really only a couple of weeks, but each moment seemed like an eternity).
3) When I started the C25K program, my goal was to run 30 minutes by my birthday, and that sticking point put me behind schedule, yet I did successfully run 30 minutes today just because it was my goal and I wasn't going to let myself down.
4) Boy #1 proclaimed "Linguistics is fun" and is investigating that as a minor in college (which I think works damn well with Spanish and Philosophy).
5) My husband found out that his unemployment claim was approved (after having been denied). That was a huge relief.
6) My kids' last day of school was today. How awesome is that?!?!?
7) Fun dinner out (because unemployment was approved) with the family and an extra kid
8) Went garage saling with Amy, and although the sales all sucked...
9)...had an awesome hot chicken sandwich at the Odd Fellows Hall (no one can make hot chicken like Midwest United States Service Organizations raising funds for something or another)
10) There was a spectacular electrical storm tonight (hitting just as we decided we really shouldn't put off loading the van any longer....yes, we are cursed)...
11) The van is loaded for a grown girls weekend camping trip...
12) More birthday greetings than I can count
13) Every birthday from here on out is a gift itself and I'll never take one for granted again.