Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

No Radiation Today!

This morning was the first weekday morning in 6 weeks I didn't have to go to radiation because **I'm finished with radiation**.

I'm really happy it's over and that became much more clear today than on previous days. The way radiation works is very similar to a severe sunburn. You know how your sunburn gets worse as night progresses and then you wake up in the morning and think, "Wow, it didn't look that bad yesterday." Yeah, that's how radiation works. Last treatment was Thursday, and today I woke up and thought, "Wow, this really hurts."

I have a fairly nasty burn under my arm, in my arm pit. It reminds me of an oven burn, the kind you get when you reach into the oven and bump your arm on the pan or the side of the oven. The skin is dark, the skin is really dry and feels like it's going to crack, and it chafes whenever I move my arm. Overall, it's quite painful and when I put the recommended creme on it, it stings.

Then, this morning, I had an itch under my breast, rubbed it, felt a sting, and noticed that I'd ripped open a fargin' blister. Where the heck did that come from? Regardless, it wasn't alone. There's a whole chain of blisters.

It seemed like I was cruising through the whole radiation thing too easily.

Oh well, the treatments are over, and, in theory at least, these discomforts should begin to improve any day now. Hopefully, there will be no long term effects.

3 comments:

Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

I'm happy for you - I hope you are recovered completely sooner than expected.

Anonymous said...

HI Dawn, we are pulling for you, Dawn..
I thought of you when I saw this...I thought it was very powerful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_yivlcCpB4&feature=channel
janet... Anderson..
I can't figure out how to do this..so I am just anonymous..but this is me...

dawn h-s said...

Very powerful, Janet. Thank you!