Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thankfuls Nov. 14-20, 2011

14.  I'm thankful for Smartwool socks.  They are just about all I wear.  They are clearly worth the investment.  I'm also thankful that I am able to find them at greatly reduced prices.  They are incredibly comfortable on my chemo-ruined, always cold feet.

15.  I'm thankful for weekends away, even though I rarely go far, even if they would be seen as many as mundane.  There's nothing quite like a weekend when I don't have any real responsibilities other than making sure I have on pajamas and have good, fun food.  This past weekend, that all involved Hello Kitty pajama pants, steak, brie, jambalaya, and lobster bisque.

16.  I'm thankful for flat screen tv (did I mention this one before?).  They are so much more attractive than the older, big bodied boxy televisions.

17.  I'm thankful for Facebook.  I have an essay brewing in me, have for years, about how Facebook--with all it's problems and weaknesses--is sort of like the backyard fence of days gone by.  I have much better friendships with local friends because of Facebook.  And that's just a beginning.  Overall, there are more positives to Facebook than negatives in my life.

18.  I'm thankful for prescription strength pain relief.  I'm not sure if what I've taken to ease the pain of my (possibly) broken toe makes the pain less or makes me just not care enough to notice it fully.  It doesn't really matter, it works.

19.  I'm thankful for short work weeks.  This is perhaps my favorite week of all semester:  two days and then Thanksgiving Break.  I <3 Wednesday and Friday of this week.  No obligations.

20.  I'm thankful for our DVR.  As I work to understand my "new" brain, I've come to the realization that I can focus much better when I grade essays with mindless tv running.  Criminal Minds and NCIS are a perfect backdrop to freshmen compositions.  Their formulaic stories can occupy that portion of my brain that keeps me unfocused, that portion that wants to make lists or plan days or listen to what others are doing in the house or focus on worries or balance checkbooks or plan classes when I'm really needing to give essays my full focus.  I'm thankful that I can watch whatever, whenever.

No comments: