Search This Blog

Monday, November 16, 2009

Mystery

I've had pain and swelling in my right arm for 6 weeks or so now. It appears to be related to my chemo cycles, somehow, as it appears to diminish, nearly totally, a few days before I get chemo and then increases in the days after each infusion.

It is improved by yoga.

The muscle in my forearm feels tight. And the pain is nearly all in my forearm. It feels like my hand and wrist should be weak, but they aren't.

The infusion nurses suggested perhaps it was a side-effect of one of the chemo drugs.

Today, Dr. Mo said that wasn't an option. She suggested perhaps it was a blood clot. Oh, joy.

Off for a vascular ultrasound (interestingly, her HUSBAND was the vascular doctor in the clinic today).

No blood clot.

However, Dr. Mo and I ended up discussing life with teenage boys (she has three sons, too) and I totally walked out of the office without discussing with her what it might be were it not a blood clot and what could be done because the discomfort is quite severe at times, to the point that it wakes me up at night.

So, what the hell is wrong with my arm? Now, I have to call the office again and then wait on pins and needles for the call back, ready to drop whatever I'm doing to take the call, which is rather inconvenient during a week of intense teaching and conferencing...I've only once had to say to a class, "I'm sorry, I have to take this call from my oncologist...."

I guess that's one time it's OK to play the cancer card?

I really don't think cancer has read Miss Manners.

No comments: