Search This Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2009

You Are a Child of the Universe...

Crappy week, that's for sure, but a strong and enthusiastic rebound today. Each class got better and better, and I finished feeling strong and effective. With the exception of grading, I'm having a lot of fun teaching this semester. I feel in that respect like I'm on top of my game.

I hate to sound trite and all "cancer has made me realize what is important..."

However, in my effort to reduce stress, I've been making a conscious effort to not take things personally that are not intended as such, which is one reason I'm having such a fun time teaching...I don't take their behaviors and weaknesses personally.

I'm also realizing how much energy I used to (and still do at times) put into getting annoyed. I know I'm not alone in this, but it's becoming much more obvious to me how often people get their knickers in a twist over so very little. For instance, the other night at the soccer fields, I was driving away and stopped to talk to Nathan. I happened to stop behind a parked car. I swear our conversation lasted less than 1.5 minutes...when are you coming home, what time is your game, you don't need to pick up your brother because I'll be back to get him...

The woman I stopped behind about threw a clot she was so annoyed my van was behind her car. That might have been me not too long ago. Really, though, it's not worth the stress getting upset leads to.

In an effort to simplify my life and focus on reducing stress, I've been focusing on these lines from Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
And remember what peace there may be, in silence.
As far as possible without surrender,
Be on good terms with all persons.

In doing so, I've been working on my ability to assume positive intent.

It's much easier to assume positive intent when I don't take people's short-comings personally.

It's much easier to focus and find peace in silence, which doesn't always mean the lack of sound. It can also mean the quietude that comes with being on good terms with others. If I'm on good terms, I'm going to spend less time talking about how annoyed I am and spend more time talking about the goodness in my life, even if that goodness is how quirky my students are. There's a lot more silence in encouragement, even though I make more physical noise doing it, than in criticism. There's a lot more silence in enjoying people.

Yet, it's important to not surrender my boundaries, which is becoming easier the less agitated I am in general. Obviously, if I don't take people's transgressions personally, it's easier to enforce my boundaries. Of course, this could also explain the difficulties my nine year old has been having recently, since we've allowed him to be rather feral until now:)

1 comment:

Theresa Williams said...

We do not think enough with the heart.

Thanks, Dawn.