Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2010

Just more hurry up and wait...

Actually, in general, there isn't a lot of "hurry up and wait" when it comes to cancer (or at least breast cancer). Once there is a diagnosis, things go fast, fast, fast. Or at least that was my experience. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I have good insurance.

Regardless, today was a prime example of "hurry up and wait."

I got measured, marked, tattooed (I never thought my first 5 tattoos would be so boring! Little pinpricks of ink, and yes they hurt), molded, CT scanned, and then I got to watch a dvd about radiation therapy.

Then the technician said, "It takes about a week for the planning. We'll give you a call."

I'm pleased they take their time and that the planning is so meticulously done. I just wish no one had previously said, "You will start radiation on March 22nd." Even my onco and plastic surgeon both counted, when they were discussing when to schedule appointments for after radiation was over, from today. Yet, I won't be finished six weeks from now. ARGH!!!!

This could interfere with a class I was planning on taking, which overall isn't that big of a deal, but still!

Silver lining: I was concerned that the echo-cardiogram I have scheduled Wednesday complicating the radiation schedule. Now it complicates nothing:)

Also, I'[m still pretty fatigued from chemo and sleeping quite a bit. Left to my own devices, I'm sleeping 12 hours a night with an hour or so nap each day. I was pretty concerned about managing the house and getting things accomplished with radiation (30-60 minutes there, plus travel time) each day. Maybe now that will be different.

And finally, I was supposed to try to schedule a lunch date with a friend. We've been trying to do this for a couple of weeks now, and our schedules just don't mesh. We are planning on trying again this week, and we'd left it at "I'll let you know what my schedule is when I start radiation." Now, maybe we can finally meet up!

Now, I'm just stressing that all the planning that will take place over the next week or so is done as meticulously as they promised me it will be. And that the damage will be minimal.

3 comments:

Amy Scott said...

It sounds as though your care has been quite good so far, so no reason to assume otherwise in this case? Did you watch that dog video and de-stress for 30 seconds? ;-)

dawn h-s said...

The dog video was funny:)

Here's the article that keeps running through my mind:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/health/24radiation.html?pagewanted=1

Amy Scott said...

seriously? after all your repeating about not googling? Stop it.