Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Nearly Enjoyable Greens

I added a little too much red pepper, so mine were a leeetle spicy (measuring spoons can be our friend), but otherwise, these are edible, which is more than I can say for other times I've eaten cooked greens (I really do think that there is a "I like greens" gene, which I am missing. I've been in the presence of others who are raving about how "tender" and "sweet" greens are and that is not how I would describe the bitter, gnarly stuff I was eating). This recipe incorporates FASS (Fat, Acid, Salty, Sweet), which makes our mouths happy.

Garliky Greens (adapted from the book One Bite at a Time: Nourishing Recipes for Cancer Survivors and Their Friends by Rebecca Katz)

6 or more cups of bite sized, chopped greens (I used kale, spinach, and chard, and I'm sure I had more than 6 cups). Make sure you remove the tough stems and veins. Soak in water.

a glop of extra virgin olive oil

chopped garlic (I don't think you can have too much. I used jarred garlic, but the original recipe called for 2 cloves. I'm sure I used way more than that)

Red pepper flakes (the original calls for a pinch. That would have been a good idea)

Sea Salt (I'm cheap and use Kosher salt)

Fresh lemon juice

Stevia
-------------------------------
1) Heat olive oil in the pan.
2) Add garlic and red pepper flakes.
3) Cook until aromatic (30 seconds or until you get back to it without burning)
4) Add greens and salt. Saute until greens begin to intensify in color (and look appetizing).
5) Cook greens until they are tender. You might need to add a splash of water.
6) Add lemon juice to taste.
7) Sprinkle with Stevia (the original called for Maple Syrup, but, alas, I don't like the flavor nor do I have any.)

No comments: